I’m honored to be a guest blogger for Lyndsey this weekend!
A little about me:
- I am a husband to my beautiful wife Jodi and father to sons Zach (16 months) and a second one (name TBD but suggestions are welcome – due in July)
- Proud Fightin’ Texas Aggie – sorry Lyndsey, don’t hold it against me. I love my Aggies – and especially Aggie football and basketball
- Outside of spending time with my family or going to Kyle Field in the fall some of my favorite things include a round of golf with friends (or trying a new course), fishing – although here in dry San Antonio I don’t know of many good places, traveling, and attempting to cook. I also love spending time with our chocolate lab Charlie or reading a good book in the rare quiet moment.
Having a crockpot with young kids is a lifesaver – here is a quick easy and very tasty recipe that my wife found from Parents.com that we love!
Tex Mex Chicken Tacos – (Note – Store Brand Canned items work just as well here!)
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can of Rotel Tomatoes w jalapenos – drained
- 1 and 1/4 cups salsa verde
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- ½ tsp salt and black pepper
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow and red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion – sliced
- 1 – 14.5 oz. black beans – drained (we use prob ½ the can)
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can corn – drained (we use frozen here)
- 12 hard taco shells
- ¾ Cup Shredded cheese (mix or Monterrey is OK)
- 1 Avacado – chopped
- In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, ¾ C of the Salsa Verde, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the chicken, peppers and onions and stir to coat. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-4 ½ hours.
- Remove chicken and place on cutting board – letting it cool slightly
- Strain mixture over a large bowl or measuring cup – set liquid aside. Return vege mixture to slow cooker – stir in black beans and corn. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken using 2 forksand stir back into slow cooker with ½ C of salsa verde and 1 C of the remaining liquid or more if desired
- Heat taco shells according to package – fill tacos and top with avocado and cheese.
Hill Country Guacamole – Courtesy of the ‘Bluebonnet Café’ – Marble Falls, TX
- 5 ripe avocados – peeled and pitted
- 1 medium red onion – finely chopped
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- 2 fresh jalapenos, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 TB fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ Tsp kosher salt (sea salt is OK)
- ½ Tsp ground black pepper
Remove flesh from avocados and scoop into a large bowl. Mash with a fork until chucky. Add onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, jalapenos, and lime juice and mash again until ingredients are well blended. Taste and add more lime juice or salt and pepper according to your liking. Makes about 1 ½ C.