Welcome!

Follow me as I take you through a 20-something's life in San Antonio, the Texas Hill Country, and the "Great State" in general. I'll talk about all the adventures Texas has to offer, how I managed to gain 10+ pounds on deeeelicious Mexican food, and so much more! I don't ever sit still and it makes for some pretty interesting stories!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Second best!

Happy Monday Blog Followers,

I've got so much to tell you, so I think I'll start with this weekend.

This weekend, we went to Houston for my friend Kalissa's Brazilian BBQ Birthday Celebration . Chris and I decided to make a full weekend of it! First, we met our high school friend, Sheelah for an Astros game. We won! 
On Saturday, we celebrated the Kentucky Derby Houston-style by going to a charity event. The proceeds went to a great cause--reconstructive surgery for cancer patients. http://roseribbon.org/
 We got all dolled up in our Derby duds...it was a blast. 
After, we drove to Kalissa's house and stuffed ourselves with homemade Brazilian goodies and all the meat we could eat!
The Birthday Girl!
Sunday we slept in and then went for lunch. We found this little gem: http://www.alingshakka.com/ . Who would've thought that Chinese food, prepared Indian-Style, would be so delicious.  May I recommend the Manchurian Chicken!?


 This morning, I channeled my inner homemaker and decided to try making  my own cold brewed coffee for iced coffee. I love iced coffee and prefer it over hot coffee most of the time, but especially during the summer months. I've been stopping a few times a week at a local coffee truck because they're iced coffee is so delicious. However, $2.75 adds up, so I thought I'd try my hand at making my own. The base of my idea came from the blog, The Pioneer Woman Cooks. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/ I changed it up a bit because I didn't have 2 x 2 gallon buckets or cheese cloth readily available. I used 1/4 cup of coffee grinds and 1/2 gallon of water. I let it steep overnight, and then this morning used a coffee filter and small strainer to remove the grinds from the liquid.
The Finished Product!
I must say it was very tasty, but it just isn't the same as the coffee truck's. I think it may be the brand of coffee. I'm currently trying to come up with a tactful way to ask the coffee truck lady what brand of coffee she uses!












 For some time now, I've had a craving for a dish my grandfather used to make--Pork and Cabbage stew. After several conversations with my mom, we hashed over the potential ingredients and agreed upon the following:
 
1 lb. Boneless pork spare ribs
1 Can of tomato sauce
1 Head of cabbage
Garlic, basil, salt, pepper to taste
Sear pork ribs, add tomato sauce, half can of water, seasonings and simmer for 1.5 hours. Then add cabbage, another round of seasonings, and simmer for an additional 30-45 minutes.



Finito!
It was very tasty, but again, I must say that it just wasn't the same! I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm on a quest to figure out exactly how he made his pork and cabbage. I wish I had written down some of his recipes while he was still here! And I say "some" because I can definitely live without his Octopus Salad recipe!

In the spirit of full disclosure and creativity, I'll continue to try to make recipes my own and report the results! Please use this blog as a forum to share yours, or to give me tips!

Please join me in giving a shout out to our men and women in uniform! Congratulations Bo Beeland--The Air Force's newest Captain! We are so proud of you! 


Have a wonderful week everyone!

xo
Lyndsey








1 comment:

  1. Ignore the weird highlighting---I don't know what I'm doing sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete