Welcome!

Follow me as I take you through a 20-something's life in San Antonio, the Texas Hill Country, and the "Great State" in general. I'll talk about all the adventures Texas has to offer, how I managed to gain 10+ pounds on deeeelicious Mexican food, and so much more! I don't ever sit still and it makes for some pretty interesting stories!

Friday, May 27, 2011

My Favorite Mexican Food Places in SA

My new co-worker (shout out to Kayse) recently requested that I dish out my favorite place for queso in SA, after reading my blog about Firewater Grille. I've decided to take it one step further and detail all my favorite places to eat Mexican food!

For Queso:  This one is a toss up for me. I love love love Alamo Cafe's queso with flour tortillas (they have the best tortillas too). I could eat it as a meal (and often do). However, the rest of the food is marginal at best (except the fajitas). I do enjoy their drinks and patio. I also love Cielito Lindo's queso. They also have fantastic nachos (I recommend the shrimp or bean & cheese).


For Enchiladas: There is nowhere in the city where you can get cheese enchiladas as good as Salsalito's! They are melt in your mouth amazing. Their rice and beans are also great...I always get an extra flour tortilla to wipe up the cheesy deliciousness that might seep out of the enchiladas.


For Tacos: Right in our neighborhood (Timberwood Park) is a little gem of a taco place. It's called Taqueria Aguascalientes...a mouthful, I know! They truly have the BEST Tacos Al Pastor. I also love their queso! Chris is a huge fan of their Carne Asada too.
For Drinks (esp Margaritas): This one is a toss up too. First, I love the bar at Cielito Lindo...especially the curly-haired bartender. He's so good to us (and cute)! They make a mean sangria. Second, I love the mango margaritas at La Hacienda. La Hacienda is also my vote for an overall delicious Mexican restaurant. They also have THE best patio. They have live music on Wednesday nights, big fans when its hot, and heaters when its cool. WARNING: This place is known for car thefts so lock your car up tight!!


Last but not least, my favorite Touristy places: Hands-down, the best two places to take someone from out of town while they're visiting SA are Casa Rio on the Riverwalk and Mi Tierra downtown. Casa Rio is dirt-cheap and delicious but the wait is always horrendous on the weekends. Mi Tierra has amazing food and a one-of-a-kind bakery. You just can't go eat at Mi Tierra and not get something sweet to go. I recommend the empanadas and the Tres Leches.It's also a short walk from The Market Square...a great place to shop for unique things!

You can't miss Casa Rio's colorful umbrellas!


So, these are just my opinions. Post a comment to let me know if you think differently or if there's a new place you think I should try. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! There are so many good places to eat here. I agree that the majority of Alamo Cafe's entrees are a little bland. And I LOVE patio time at La Hacienda. Maybe a double date soon?
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete